Status update: A new beginning for 2013

Your daily Manga Masters News.

Status update: A new beginning for 2013

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

To everyone,

I wanted to post an update about recent events.

After 5 years of sweat and tears, I have quit my job and I am going freelance full-time.

Manga Masters is going to be a full-time project for me and I need your help.

Over the many years, I have watched this website grow and I have been listening to all the requests people have been asking for.

I have plenty of new and exciting ideas I want to develop for MM.

My idea is not to create a clone of DeviantArt or of any other art community for that matter - but want to focus more on collaboration and bringing people of similar interests together.

PaintChat will be the focal point of the website - and will developing it even further, with your help.

My plans are:
  • New web host with guaranteed 99% uptime and faster page loads
  • Develop new PaintChat software that is free from spammers and can have new feature requests.
  • Blogging: about testing the latest drawing tech, tutorials, generating ideas, how to sell your art, getting started in a drawing career, interviews and much more.
The site is going to grow in an organic way - start small and working up.

Advertising is not going to be enough to keep me working on MM full-time project, so in the next few months, I will being offering paid membership for optional extras (which are unknown yet), for those who can afford to support the website.

This means I can buy better equipment and pay people to bring you the best service.

Please let me know your thoughts and let yourselves be heard.

Thanks,
Flash

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Re: Status update: A new beginning for 2013

Postby Flash » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Well. I finished my last day at work.

Now to start working on MM for real :)

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Sendeshi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 am

Good luck dude, I'm also leaving my job at the end of this year to pursue my own goals. Here every step, lurking in the background.

Sendeshi
Super Guy!
Super Guy!

Postby SorataX » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Good luck!

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing ok! For the oldest yet strangely latest retro reviews visit my blog below!

http://realityglitch.wordpress.com/

Favourite Animes: Battle Vixens, Dirty Pair, AD Police, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, He is my Master
SorataX
Super Guy!
Super Guy!

Postby gurzy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Best of success to you Flash, also congrats on your first update with MM. My personal opinion of it at the moment is mixed feelings. It would be cool to have a function where star members (trusted members) could have the ability to change their handles like before the update. Also the zoom out function zooms out and aligns to the left rather than towards the center now. That's all I can say about it now. Keep up the good work!

tl:dr

Will update periodically
Only testing in Normal Mode Tools

Suggestions

Adding handle change function to star members Can change name in CP

Add a black canvas room where the whole board is black instead of white. Rooms don't eat itself now so black color stays on indefinitely when applied until erased/cleared.

Easier solution to use masking in Pchat. Somewhere along the lines as photoshop preferably.

Adding a lasso tool for more options on how to select specific parts you want to manipulate.

Better Free Transform capability. 360 degree rotation of drawings selected.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bugs/Fixes

Texture Tool in Normal Mode isn't working properly. The texture menu does not pop out when selected

Solid/HalfTone options are not necessary as all of these should and can be accessed within the texture menu.

Fix zoom out so it aligns to the center more.

In pen tools you can't go from free hand to curve anymore.

Vertical Sync tearing with tool windows and white canvas. You can see vertical white lines being produced from the borders of the tool boxes. Happens in Nikos as well. I'll try to take a photo of it when it happens again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RARE BUGS (Just to record that it has happened before)

Eraser tool bugs out after a while and you need to rejoin room. (I'm running Windows8)

When using text tool after switching to pen tool and trying to draw it still thinks it's using text.

Last edited by gurzy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
B*tch i'm fabulous.
gurzy
Gundam Pilot
Gundam Pilot

Postby Flash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback and your kind words. I shall see what I can do.

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Ace » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 am

Hey Flash. You should update also the rules for this new update. Like if they double room , the room they're in shouldnt be crowded. something like that.
And also the names of the mods on the paintchat page is kinda old x).

Ace
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm

They will be amended too. Now that I have got the big update out the way, I can concentrate on the smaller things like the rules etc.

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Lahti » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:49 pm

I guess the current pchat version we are using makes it easier for mods to track people in rooms now, since we can't pick our own handle anymore. However, is it possible to use pchat v3.63, the previous pchat version before the update recently, in the star room area since star members are trusted people?

edit: aww dang orz

Last edited by Lahti on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forgetting pain is convenient. Remembering it, agonizing. But recovering the truth is worth the suffering.
Lahti
RP Royal
RP Royal

Postby Ace » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Flash said. It can no longer be back unu

Ace
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Homura » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey gurzy I like some of the suggestions you pointed out but to be mean and put your hopes kinda down to do all those masking/lasso/transform things he'd have to mess severely with the tools (and with the last two make new tools even). And that is almost utopia.

The black room... miiiight be possible but I'm not sure. Since the bg colour is not ACTUALLY a colour (if you paint in white in layer 0 and push it to another layer only the part you painted will go) but I'm not sure which part exactly is to be changed (since the java in my pc is whacked I haven't been able to test things with the code (that I actually know only 0,1% about).

However, and since i have made some black rooms before, you can just paint a whole room black and work on the layers above (not ideal but). Might not sound like it but people actually like participating in that kind of stuff (remember to do it in an empty room though)

Homura
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Deleted User 19385 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Can paintchat even be updated in such an advanced way? Even though all that stuff sounds great like omg
a better size tool would be beautiful *^* like if it were to look like sai omg...ommggg
LOL but i didn't know if such things were possible
<xD

Deleted User 19385

Postby Lahti » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Higgyy wrote:Can paintchat even be updated in such an advanced way? Even though all that stuff sounds great like omg
a better size tool would be beautiful *^* like if it were to look like sai omg...ommggg
LOL but i didn't know if such things were possible
<xD

Well the thing is Flash didn't program paint chat to begin with, so it would probably take a while to understand how it was made. Then the new tools would have to be made by scratch which would take more time. Other drawing boards like artground.com and iscribble don't even have those tools either, so I assume a new tool like the lasso is pretty difficult to code.

Another thing, I think having some of these tools will take up a lot of bandwidth from the website if that is a possible issue to come across, I'm not sure..

Forgetting pain is convenient. Remembering it, agonizing. But recovering the truth is worth the suffering.
Lahti
RP Royal
RP Royal

Postby Flash » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Nearly is correct.

I don't have access to the original code for Paintchat. What we use has been salvaged and passed around the internet for years. It would take a skilled Java programmer to advance the existing features of PaintChat, which unfortunately I am not.

I am going to share the existing PaintChat code and publicise it on MangaMasters to see if anyone is interested in developing it further in their own time.

I have plans to develop a new PaintChat using other technology, which I hope to test & trial in the near future.

Running these services does take up a lot of bandwidth. Luckily, my friend provides that hosting for us and thankfully he doesn't mind how much bandwidth we use for the moment (as long as it's not stupid amounts).

Considering I work as a Web Developer, there is new devices coming out all the time that allow you to draw and submit online - so I need to carefully decide what to do next.

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Denki » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm

there is one thing missing, a better save method then print screen :) say a way to save the whole canvas at the click of a button that would save to your desktop.

Denki
Gaijin
Gaijin

Next

Return to Website News