What would you like to see in 2014?

Your daily Manga Masters News.

What would you like to see in 2014?

Postby Flash » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Merry Christmas all :)

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

I thought now would be a good time to ask for your inspiration.

What would you like to see done to MangaMasters in 2014?

I want to improve the website in many ways and would like to know which direction you would like to take things?

So far the following is going to happen:

More PaintChat rooms will be added
Since we have an amazing server and has been stable for a long while, the number of rooms will increase.

More Moderators
In January, we will be recruiting more moderators to cope with the increase in number of rooms.
We will follow the rule that there should be 2x Mods for every room.
Currently we have 20 active mod and 16 rooms - which means that 12 New Moderator slots will be available.
More slots will become available when more rooms are added.

Candidates will be people who are active on a regular basis. Applications will start in January.

A new and comprehensive WIKI with Tutorials and Guides
http://wiki.mangamasters.com/
We need your help! To replace our very old and aging FAQ, there is now a new wiki.

Anyone who is interested in helping, please register on the wiki and start adding information.
People who contribute towards the new wiki will be given special titles as thanks for your work.

Development of a new PaintChat
As everyone knows, PaintChat is an old proprietary written by ShiChan. Thanks to Rift, we have been able to run a modified version of PaintChat over the last 6 months that has improved moderating capabilities.

Unfortunately, to continue developing this mod is not viable.

However, I will be beginning an open-source project on github where I will encourage anyone with programming skills to take part. It will be written as a service using HTML5 Canvas that will support tablet pressure sensing.

I hope that we can begin beta testing in Q2 of 2014.

What else?
Manga Masters has been running for many years - but how would you change it?
Is the website good enough? Do you want more activities? How do you like to interact with users? Do you like the forum?

Please let me know your thoughts and I hope that I can bring more exciting times to you in 2014 :)

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Re: What would you like to see in 2014?

Postby Deleted User 19385 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 pm

OMG I'M SO EXCITED.
I wish more things could be in forums

UM LETS SEE I'LL EDIT THIS POST WHEN I GET SOME IDEAS.
But having people more involved with one another is an ideal goal in my opinion~
that's been going great with the new rps and things.

and i cant wait for this new project you're trying to do, hopefully the lines will be nice and smooth
= w = b

Deleted User 19385

Postby Flash » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Currently the new version of Paintchat already exists. It's going to be a clone of Mr. Doobs Harmony.
http://www.mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/

He has already written the code to make it "multi user".
http://ricardocabello.com/blog/post/701

So all I need to do is make more tools and repurpose it.
Of course this will take a while, and will be run as a beta.

Eventually it will replace Paintchat but the current site will be moved to a different location for anyone who wants to use the old version. As I am sure people how grown attached to how ShiChan Paintchat works.

By open sourcing it, I hope to speed up the development process.

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Liz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:55 am

That Harmony thing needs a LOT of work done to it. Its responsiveness is not satisfactory, my circles end up looking like polygons.

Liz
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Drawing Time: 99999999999999999999

Postby Deleted User 19385 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 am

surely like u said we need pressure

I hope you can do what ever you can to it, dat stuff need work.

LOL

Deleted User 19385

Postby Lahti » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 am

I remember a few years ago that there was a new forum layout? I wonder what has happened to that.. oAo

It was still in the beta.mangamasters or was stage.mangamasters I cannot remember clearly

Forgetting pain is convenient. Remembering it, agonizing. But recovering the truth is worth the suffering.
Lahti
RP Royal
RP Royal

Postby Deleted User 31047 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:14 am

What I'd like to see

After a lovley brainstorm on the plane back from sweden I wrote down a few thing I'd like to see here on mangamasters, however writing this on the toilet probably conflicts the genius of these statements.

First, I think that the idea of a new layout being coded is interesting however there are more other small, minor details that should come first before a bigger project becomes nessicary and not all are to do with the paintchat program.

Mangamasters as a website has had the same layout for many years now and I think presentation is probably one of the most important roles to any websites success and prosperity. If the website looks good, the people feel good, and despite what anyone says of course we want the website to be popular and to make new friends with aspiring or successful artists.

That's why I think the layout and logo need to be refurbished. Change is good and once here loyalty always sticks, It's not that artists dislike paintchat it's simply that very few people know about its existence.

Second, the name mangamasters gives alot of further opportunity for the website as a whole for other artist leniency. Mangamasters means manga! Having extra tabs on the website for doujinshis, galleries, portfolios and reference has been long overdue! It is the most simpliest thing that seems to be amis here on the site. Creating artwork is good, creating tumblrs, deviantarts, but it would be genuis to simply have a section within the website where each member can post their artwork for everyone to see on their portfolio.

Which brings me onto user profiles, more informaion about likes, preferences or the artists styles should be available and easily accessable to everyone. Knowing about other artists gives a social aspect to any website while also being useful for following artwork and collaborating together as a team.

Thirdly, before creating a new paintchat there are previous issues that I'd like to know if could be fixed, such as a new method of saving artwork, rather than printscreening our artwork to be saved. This could also go back to galleries. a mangamasters gallery for artwork would allow us to present collaborative works, events and activities as a community.Artists are trying to be recognised, and what artist doesnt enjoy a little competion.

Also the ability to save and load logs would also be interesting still to experiment with as we know it's possible just not exactly how.

These are just a few ideas I had to share with you, I hope they sound useful or interesting, I know it would definatley make the website alot more enjoyable and interactive. As there is a whole community of artists here there is alot of room for decorative layout work and I know many artists would love to take part in decorating parts of the website.

Thanks!

Deleted User 31047

Postby SpikedKanine » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh wow, I'm totally late on seeing this but...

Saying you wanted to make a new paintchat reminded me of something I found the other day...

http://krita.org/

This is an open-source program, and someone whose helping to build it told me that they were heavily considering making an online capability for it. I'm assuming this is peer-to-peer and not like Paintchat but...The fact that it's open-sourced means that you're allowed to mess around with it and possibly make it much like paintchat, hmm? :U

Just a thought.

[center]
Tomorrow is another day
And you won’t have to hide away
You’ll be a man, boy!
But for now it’s time to run, it’s time to run!

Image[/center]]
SpikedKanine
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Postby Flash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

SpikedKanine wrote:Oh wow, I'm totally late on seeing this but...

Saying you wanted to make a new paintchat reminded me of something I found the other day...

This is an open-source program, and someone whose helping to build it told me that they were heavily considering making an online capability for it. I'm assuming this is peer-to-peer and not like Paintchat but...The fact that it's open-sourced means that you're allowed to mess around with it and possibly make it much like paintchat, hmm? :U

Just a thought.

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately it's not a bit of software I can integrate with. Fantastic bit of software though! Want to give it a go. Want to finally ditch Photoshop from my collection if I can.

Development wise: I already have an idea of what can be done. It purely needs to be web-based and I will be turning into a service (hopefully) that will grow and improve over time.

We are still looking for developers, who can help patch up the existing Paintchat software (here). Anyone who is a Java developer and wants to help would be greatly appreciated.

Flash
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby SpikedKanine » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Flash wrote:
SpikedKanine wrote:Oh wow, I'm totally late on seeing this but...

Just a thought.

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately it's not a bit of software I can integrate with. Fantastic bit of software though! Want to give it a go. Want to finally ditch Photoshop from my collection if I can.

Development wise: I already have an idea of what can be done. It purely needs to be web-based and I will be turning into a service (hopefully) that will grow and improve over time.

We are still looking for developers, who can help patch up the existing Paintchat software (here). Anyone who is a Java developer and wants to help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean you can't integrate with it, exactly? o ^ o
You think it'd be too much work to be similar to paintchat or....you dunno the code? :U

Just curious.

As for ditching PS for Krita...hmm...Krita is basically the love child of PS and Sai, so a lot of features Sai doesn't have it does, and a lot that PS has, it doesn't have. So I think it's be possible to replace PS with Krita depending on what tools you use in PS a lot.

[center]
Tomorrow is another day
And you won’t have to hide away
You’ll be a man, boy!
But for now it’s time to run, it’s time to run!

Image[/center]]
SpikedKanine
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Postby gurzy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 am

Hey pchatters, been popping up here and there to doodle and stuff and was wondering how everyone felt about a permanent pchat google hangout specifically for mangamasters. Conceptart.org, crimson daggers, and an art group on facebook have their own permanent links. Would be cool if the people who hung out around here could also chat in person while drawing.

B*tch i'm fabulous.
gurzy
Gundam Pilot
Gundam Pilot

Postby openlor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I think that's a good idea, go for it Gurzy

openlor
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Deleted User 19385 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:11 pm

That does sound really neat o v o

Deleted User 19385

Postby DeBree420 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 am

I see this is a really old thread, now being the end of 2015, but is this open source new paintchat still happening? can i help in some way, perhaps a paypal donation or something? Unfortunately i'm not a coder...

DeBree420
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Return to Website News