difference between manga and comics

Seen anything good lately? TV, Movies, Books, Music and Games - share the excitement!

difference between manga and comics

Postby miiminisax » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

What is the difference between manga and comics? I stumble across the word "manga" often when it comes to Japanese animation, whereas "comic books" are more used for Western animation. Is that the only difference there is between a manga and a comic book?

miiminisax
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Re: difference between manga and comics

Postby MaggieKSullivan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 am

Style-wise, there are aesthetic differences between western comics and Japanese comics. My own personal opinion is that you can use the words "manga" and "comic" interchangeably. I do, but it is mostly dependent on who I'm talking with. "Manga," though, is very specific to the style. Whereas "comic," in my opinion, can be used for anything.

Most people use the word "graphic novel" now-a-days. I like calling myself a graphic novelist, it sounds like I'm directing a movie. >:D

Just please, for the love of God, don't say "Japanese Manga." Hahaha It's incredibly redundant. 99.9% of the time, people know what you're already talking about. ;)

Is it the use of the word you were concerned with or were you hoping tofind out the difference between aesthetics?

MaggieKSullivan
Gaijin
Gaijin

Return to TV, Books, Music & Games