BASIC GUIDE TO GETTING PAINTCHAT TO WORK

Need help with PaintChat?
Forum rules
Make sure to checkout our DeviantArt Group! http://themangamasters.deviantart.com/

Postby Arc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 am

A tested method by Arc on WIndows 7/8/8.1

Paintchat not working? Losing text? Java not loading? This is the general fix to getting paintchat to work. If you follow each step correctly, your paintchat SHOULD work.

Disclaimer: This fix however, probably won't ail an unstable internet connection, or only being able to load Pro-Rooms on a Non-English/Non-Japanese based PC.

YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS. ALL OF THEM. IF YOU DO NOT DO ONE, IT WON'T WORK. NO EXCEPTIONS. ALSO PLEASE RESEARCH YOUR ANTI-VIRUS BECAUSE SOME ANTI-VIRUS COMPLETELY DISABLE THE USE OF JAVA OF ANY VERSION

STEP 1 - OBTAIN FIREFOX

Firefox is probably your best bet for getting paintchat to work, because chrome has disabled the ability to use java on it.

STEP 2 - OBTAIN A 64x AND 86x COPY OF JAVA 7

DO NOT GET JAVA 8. ONLY USE JAVA 7. The most up-to-date stable version for paintchat of Java 7 is 7u67. It can be obtained here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html#jre-7u67-oth-JPR

But why do I need both Arc? I have a 64x computer! You must get both a 64x and 86x (86x is 32-bit) version of java 7. Firefox is a 32x browser, but you computer also needs a 64x version to run it, so having both versions of Java 7 will allow your computer, AND firefox to read it. Also, 7u67 works for most people, but i personally use 7u45 (64x) and 7u51 (86x).

IF YOU ARE ON AN EARLIER VERSION OF WINDOWS (<Win8) YOU MUST RESTART YOUR COMPUTER INBETWEEN EACH UNINSTALL AND INSTALL OF JAVA.
STEP 3 - SET YOUR JAVA SECURITY TO MEDIUM

You must absolutely do this step. This is the step everyone tends to skip, and gets really stubborn in saying they "did it". You must set your java security to medium. Anything higher than that will just have the internet tell you "NO, YOU CAN'T USE JAVA", no matter where or when you use java.

To get to the java control panel. open:
Control Panel -> Java (you might need to search for it) -> Security Tab -> Set Security level to Medium

STEP 4 - GETTING INTO THE PAINTCHAT ROOM

When you first enter a paintroom, many things could happen. If your computer asks you if it should allow or block paintchat, allow it. If it asks you to update paintchat, update later, just say later ]. Don't update paintchat. It will just give you java 8 and you won't be able to run paintchat.

Everytime you run paintchat, you will get a "Security Warning" asking if you want to run the application. Check the "I accept the risk and want to run this application" checkbox, and hit RUN.

If you followed each step correctly, you'll be in the room! Congrats! You got paintchat to work!

Arc
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Re: BASIC GUIDE TO GETTING PAINTCHAT TO WORK

Postby Danteo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:28 am

What about Macs.... My kingdom for Mac assistance....

Danteo
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Postby Arc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:16 am

Your best bet would be to get the mac installer for 7u67, since it's only in 64-bit I recommend trying to find a 64x browser that still supports java. That would remove chrome and potentially Firefox out the window, but I'm sure some other browsers, like maybe safari or opera would work. You'd also have to find out where to open the Java control panel on a mac to lower the security settings. I'm unable to help with that, because I don't have any readily available Mac computers to test it out with, but I'm sure some simple google-fu will show you how to find that panel.

Arc
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Danteo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:52 am

Hey, Arc-- I still have to post how I got Java to work for me on here, but-- I just realized, and I'm not sure if you have any input on this, but, a lot of people are saying that JTablet doesn't work for newer Mac OS, but I actually did have it working on Yosemite, though it isn't responsive on El Capitan. No idea what's up with that, but, I'm curious if you have any input. I have Time Machine set up that I have saves before I upgraded and changed my Java and stuff around and afterwards... Any chance that means it could theoretically work on El Capitan??

Danteo
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Postby Arc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:40 pm

It might be able to work on a virtual machine, but I have a gut feeling jtablet might actually be tied to drivers. Would you be able to experiment with older tablet drivers for mac (or atleast, the previous one you used), and give me them details? Also if you write up a step by step, I can quote it in the first post.

@nice@

Arc
Paintchat Moderator
Paintchat Moderator

Postby Mojack » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:58 am

guys why. i need to download java 7 for Mac OSX but to do so i need an account with oracle but the caveat is i do not have a job or a company and these are required fields for making an account why do you need a company to download a dffff java 7 thing why

Mojack
Be nice, I'm new
Be nice, I'm new

Return to PaintChat HELP